Although the exact date is not known, Powder Springs Methodist Church was established around 1838 soon after the town of Powder Springs was incorporated. The town was then known as Springville, at the Powder Springs. The first church was a log cabin constructed on the south side in what is referred to now as the Old Cemetery. In 1844, the church was officially organized and a framed building was constructed on the lot where the present church stands on Marietta Street. The church was known at that time as the Powder Springs Mission.
This frame building stood until 1864 when it was occupied by Federal troops during the Civil War. The building was destroyed by fire during this occupancy. During this period, the Methodists held services at a local Presbyterian Church that was in Powder Springs. The Baptist congregation also used the Presbyterian Church as they had lost their church in a similar fashion.
In 1872, the Methodists were able to construct a new church building with the assistance of the Springville Masonic Lodge. The two organizations joined together in building a two story wooden structure that was shared for approximately fifty years.
Congress had passed legislation authorizing the payment of damages incurred during the Civil War by Federal troops. Mrs. Josie Kiser Awtery persisted in petitioning Congress and other officials until a sum was paid to both the Methodist and Baptist Churches of Powder Springs. The exact amount of the payment is not known for certain but the funds were used to purchase the equity from the Masons in the balance of the property.
In 1924, a new building was started on the site of the church. The old building was torn down and preparations were made for the new construction. The new building was built with the help of Rev. Adrian Warwick who personally completed portions of the carpentry. This building remains the site of services and will continue to be used for various activities by the congregation.